Re: Tuning X

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:02:09AM +0100, David Baron wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 22:16, Pigeon wrote:
> > I have an ATI Radeon 7500 AGP 64M card (not on this system) which gives me
> > around 775fps in glxgears, using a woody backport of X 4.3. Not quite the
> > same, but the basic principles are (from memory):
> >
> > - Set the kernel up right. Under "Character devices" in make menuconfig
> > enable "/dev/agpgart (AGP Support)" for your motherboard's chipset. Then go
> > down a bit to "Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support)" and enable
> > that with "ATI Rage 128 support".
> >
> > - Tell X to use the correct driver. I think it's called "ati" for your
> > card, but check that (see xf86config).
>
> I haven't the foggiest on how to accomplish this.  I tried on shell dialog
> dpkgconfig of xf86config but aborted it when I could no longer answer its
> question. Never got to any direct-rendoring support. It is included here
> somewhere along the line but it might be easier to edit the config file it
> produces and leave everything else alone.

What questions are you having difficulty with?

(BTW, the bits I mention about AGP and DRI support etc. are in the kernel
configuration, not xf86config.)

> This is the output of an /usr/sbin/mkxf86config command (no man page
> available):
> root@d_baron:~# mkxf86config
>  Video is Mach64 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X, using XFree86(ati) Server
>  Monitor is MAG5779, H:30-70kHz, V:50-120Hz
>  Using Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>
> This was set up to simply ATI by Knoppix and I entered more details from
> Knoppix configuration dialogs. I am running at 1024x768, 70mhz. Actaully, the
> monitor is a MAG XJ500T. I entered this as well. Makes little difference.
>
> This script may have other goodies in it but is hard to read. Text "DRI",
> "Rendering", etc., are not found there.

packages.debian.org doesn't know anything about mkxf86config. Is that a
Knoppixism?

Some further suggestions:

- You may find it easier to edit XF86Config[-4] by hand. There was a thread
a day or two ago entitled "Help with AGP and 3D acceleration for Radeon
7000" with the appropriate entries in it; just use "ati" instead of "radeon".

- For the kernel modules: I see from other posts you've made that you've
tried to install a newer kernel image and it won't boot. Not quite sure
which version you're trying to install, and I don't use lilo so I'm not au
fait with its errors, but there was a posting today entitled simply
"kernel-image-2.4.24-1-686" which makes me suspect that the package may be
broken. You might be better off installing the kernel *source* package and
building it yourself; there are instructions at

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/kernel-pkg/index-kernel-pkg.html.en

One point: to make sure you start off with all the config settings for your
current kernel still enabled, before you configure the new kernel, copy the
/boot/config-whatever for your current kernel into /usr/src/linux, run
"make oldconfig" and just press return at all its questions.

Then, before starting X with the new kernel, "modprobe agpgart" and
"modprobe r128" (in that order).

(If I was on the system with the ATI card and not 100 miles away from it,
I'd (a) be more definite and (b) post my configs...)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons