Re: Documentation and Useability - a proposed solution

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:48:08PM -0600, Mac McCaskie wrote:
> Pigeon wrote:
> >It's the result of people providing facilities because they want to, and
<snip>

> I think this may summarize my point(?).  For those of you that have
> expertise with Debian, it must be a no brainier to grab a package and
> install it.  Right?  Meaning you probably could install something that
> doesn't have the "Debian Stamp of Approval" simply because you have much
> more experience that I or any other noobie (aka newbie).
>
> I agree that yes you should have the capability to install anything you
> please (and you probably have).  I don't think I ever intended to
> proclaim you should be denighed the ability to install them.
>
> My argument is that as a noobie, I have access to packages that are not
> well documented though the main distribution.
Hi Mac <two-sheds> McCaskie,
Debian and other *nixes are not just made up of a few man pages. To
learn things in this universe, the first thing is to learn where you can
get help: man pages, doc packages, web sites, dead tree docs,
interfaceing with people through various interfaces (email, p2p,LUGs). These
all qualify to ME as documentation. If everthing was written in a man
pages, I'd never get to discuss 'stonehenge' or 'pigeons' or 'installing
package foo with kernel x.y.z on my amiga'. So, even if I know how to
install foo, with the OTHER sources of documentation mentioned above, I
might find n more ways to do the same thing in better or different ways.
Just my 2 yens worth.
-Kev