Re: Recommended ISP's

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 05:23:07PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 06:53:04PM -0500, Brett Carrington wrote:
> > But can you tell if encryption is on?
>
> What difference does it make?  It's still going to hit a fairly public
> network not protected by the hardware after the very first hop anyway.
True. But plain-text POP3 passwords (or heck, your PPPoE login) are more
likely to be sniffed in that 'local loop' than anywhere else. Assessing
risk is a factor in who to trust.

Besides, I've been arguing against any of cable's shared bandwidth
vulnerabilities and their new security is only a mild curiosity. I
wouldn't use such a connection.