Re: Recommended ISP's

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 05:39:49PM -0600, Aaron Hall wrote:
[snip]
> Of course, BPI only works (I believe) if the modem is DOCSIS 1.1
> compliant or better. Older modems won't be able to use it. In those
> cases, Cox falls back to ordinary unencrypted transmission.

But can you tell if encryption is on? If that technology fails for a
moment (service enhancement/repairs!) you are unprotected. I think the
obscurity would be equivalent to a circuit-switched line (DSL) but there
really ought to be a move to encrypt-or-nothing. (And while IPsec et.
al. exist, find me one ISP that requires or even provides an end-point.)