Re: Recommended ISP's

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:26:29PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:07:04PM -0800, Nano Nano wrote:
> > I don't know how it's done, but it's totally true: everything on your
> > cable modem can be intercepted easily by people on your same subnet.
>
> Not these days.  Cable companies got a bit more security conscious
> about 5 years ago.
But how? The lines are -still- shared, they didn't change the entire
infastructure. Is each user's cable connection now encrypted end-to-end?
I imagine any amount of secure encryption would really hurt people
trying to play bandwidth-heavy games. (Not in actual bandwidth but computational
time on what I assume are minimally powered cable modems.)