Re: Newbie Install

John G wrote:

I am about to put up my first server.  I hope to make it dual boot to
get experience on both linux and windows 2003.  I have a server with
no operating system and have 2 questions to start.

1.  Which os do I load first?  Everything I have read so far assumes I
have already installed windows.  But this is a clean server.  I have
booted it with a copy of Knoppix 3.2, as well as the first Debian disk.

You can do either, but it has been my experience that it's easier to install Windows first, then Debian.

2. Which is easier, to install from the Knoppix disk, or from the Debian disk. I know that the Knoppix will work because it booted completely from the CD.

Last time I tried installing Knoppix to the hard drive, it wouldn't let me set up my partitions the way I wanted. I vaguely recall some conversations to the effect that that may have been fixed. Knoppix is likely to get you closer to a working system than a Debian install, but if it were me, I'd do the Debian install, simply because it gives me more control of what gets installed, and where, and with what options, etc. But be aware, installing Debian for someone not familiar with GNU/Linux in general, can be a rather frustrating experience. Such a person might be happier starting with Knoppix, and then a few weeks later, wiping it and doing a Debian install from scratch.

--
Kent