Optimizing/Tuning X

Graphical games and other such programs that would run nicely with my CPU
under Windows simply cripple X-Windows. The GL-117 flying game complains
about resources but response is so bad it is impossible to adjust its
parameters as hinted. Other such games have no fine-tuning adjustments.

It gets so bad the mouse responses occur every several seconds. Things might
be drawn quite nicely but the refresh rate (should I get that far) would
surely be impractically slow.

Are there parameters I can play with to tune X?