Re: Ethernet driver issue: kernel version mismatch

Hello

Sanjay Chigurupati (<Sanjay.Chigurupati@lntinfotech.com>) wrote:

> Installed Debian woody release 2 recently. used kernel version 2.4.18
> during installation by selecting bf2.4 at prompt.
>
> Have an Intel pro 100 VE ethernet card, which is not supported by
> default. downloaded the driver from Intel site and compiled it.
>
> I had not installed the kernel source. When I searched, I found
> kernel-source-2.4.18 and installed the source.
>
> When I try to install the compiled driver using insmod it says version
> mismatch: driver compiled for version 2.4.18 and ur current kernel
> version is 2.4-18.bf2.4

Either install the kernel-headers for your kernel
(kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4), or change EXTRAVERSION is
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 to -bf2.4, copy /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4
to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/.config, run make oldconfig and make
dep. Recompile the driver.

> If I do a forced insmod, it works with warning, but it looks like I
> have to do it every time I reboot.
>
> I can ping intranet addresses, but not internet addresses.
>
> The other thing is that /etc/modules.conf does not have an alias to
> eth0. If I try /sbin/ifup eth0, I get the error message : unknown
> interface eth0=etc0

Add

alias eth0 drivername

to /etc/modutils/aliases and run update-modules. Do not edit
/etc/modules.conf directly.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--