Re: Apt-Get crippled

David Baron wrote:
For all but the simplest apt-get's, the thing will not work.

It is apparently blocked by some dependency problem centering arround alsa. Following the recommendation for apt-get -f install (with no target), it attempts to install some alsa_utilities upgrade but since there is a cross-reference to knx-alsa (Knoppix included a version on their distro), it fails. I had also installed more recent alsa manually (configure;make;make install)--one of the few successful installs using this method--but apparently not such a good idea.

Hello,

Knoppix is some sort of mix between stable and testing and - as you can see - it's not too hard to break things in this setup;

I think you should either upgrade to testing, or downgrade to stable.
As I understand, upgrading to testing simply means adding these lines to /etc/apt/sources.list:

#sarge
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sarge main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org sarge/updates main contrib non-free
#sarge sources
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sarge main non-free contrib
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org sarge/updates main contrib non-free

And doing an
  apt-get dist-upgrade

Downgrading to stable (woody) is a bit harder allright - but I've done so myself on a knoppix installation. This page gives some explanation on how to do this:

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/debian/testing/2003/07/msg00039.html

I used script to have a complete log of what happened (a lot of programs may be removed during the downgrade, and you can use the "log" to reinstall those you need)

I hope this solves your problems,

Joris