Re: Apt-Get crippled

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:13:03PM +0100, David Baron wrote:
> For all but the simplest apt-get's, the thing will not work.
>
> It is apparently blocked by some dependency problem centering arround alsa.
> Following the recommendation for apt-get -f install (with no target), it
> attempts to install some alsa_utilities upgrade but since there is a
> cross-reference to knx-alsa (Knoppix included a version on their distro), it
> fails. I had also installed more recent alsa manually (configure;make;make
> install)--one of the few successful installs using this method--but
> apparently not such a good idea.

What about removing the alsa packages? If you installed the package
manually look into the equivs package for creating an empty package to
provide the dependencies.
If you do that you may need to uninstall the previous version with dpkg
using the force flag so that it will agree to remove the package
leaving the system in a broken state and then install the equivs
package in its place. (don't leave a system in a broken state, though,
only use the force flag if you need to switch packages and you can't
figure out another way).