Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 14:11, Paul Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:19:54 -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
>
> > I'm taking a class this semester which is all about installing and using
> > Linux. After talking with the professor on Tuesday, I've learned a few
> > details. First, I have to use Vulgarly Illogical for my text editor for
> > the purposes of labs, tests, etc. As illustrated by the previous
> > sentence, I'm an emacs user. :) I'm not happy about it, but I'm not
> > against learning vi in the event that some day I am banished to a hell
> > where there is no emacs. :) The other problem, however, is what the
> > subject deals with.
>
> Firstly, you are not going to make many friends by dissing what many
> long-time Unix programmers regard as the best test editor going.  So you
> can pretty much assume, as a result, that at least 50% of vi geeks are not
> going to be prepared to help you out, including me.

I suppose that in the future I will have to make a mental note that two
smileys in a paragraph are not enough to signify a joke. I tend to find
the whole emacs vs. vi debate rather comical, and have no problems
taking a friendly jab at vi and always enjoy a good laugh at the expense
of emacs. If this offends you, I'm terribly sorry. Perhaps "find /
-iname "sense of humor"" might be useful in this situation. :) <- Note
the smiley. Joke. Ha ha.

> > We're going to be working on Fedora systems. What's sickening, is that
> > the reason I was given for using Fedora was because it was 'free' since
> > we have a CONTRACT with Red Hat. Apparently, free as in speech Debian
> > isn't free enough for them? :) While I have gotten permission from the
> > professor to use my laptop (with Debian on it) for the class, I'll still
> > be responsible for knowing the Fedora way of doing things for purposes
> > of the hands-on midterm and final.
>
> If one of the objectives of the class is to work with a Fedora system,
> then the only thing that's sickening, as far as I can see, is that you
> consider your opinion on Linux distributions to be more "correct" than
> your professor's, even if it may disadvantage you in the class.

I'm really beginning to regret having written this paragraph. But, once
again, to reiterate here, the 'sickening' bit is a reference to the
school's ignorance of all things Linux. There was no evaluation process
for which distro to use for the class based on what would be the best
educational tool. Instead, since the university had a support contract
with Red Hat, they decided to use Fedora because, as far as they know,
Red Hat _IS_ Linux. I hope that's the last time I have to say this. I
really do, from the bottom of my heart, apologize to anyone I pissed off
due to what is, apparently, a poor choice of words in expressing an
opinion.

> You expect the good people of this list to spend a not inconsiderable
> amount of time to help you out for free, simply because you are too
> stubborn to meet your own class requirements?

See above. For what it's worth, in my two years of being a regular on
this list, I and many others have helped many people with many more
'useless' things without thinking twice.

> Try asking on a RedHat list.  Then you can piss off both vi users and RH
> admins all at the same time.

See above reference to proper usage of the 'find' command. It really
comes in handy in situations like this. :) <- Once again. Smiley. Joke.
Ha ha. Funny. Etc, etc, etc, ad nauseaum. Need I go on? :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837