Re: X "no screens" error with bf2.4 kernel and intel 810 graphics on laptop

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:38:54PM +1100, Rua Haszard Morris wrote:
> Thanks all for the help so far..
>
> I've had some success by choosing "vga" driver in the setup (instead of
> i810).  However, the resolution is really bad (looks like 320x240).  (I've
> also changed to using vanilla flavour instead of bf2.4)

It defaults to that if it doesn't have any higher resolutions specified, I
think.

> The graphics "card" (onboard) is intel 82852 GM, the machine is an Acer
> TravelMate 530.
>
> So a new questions is:
> 1. do I need to install i810 support in the kernel (i think no)?  When I
> select it in the "add kernel modules" part of setup, it fails...

Probably either means it's already there, or your laptop has some newer
version of the chipset that that module can't deal with.

> Assuming no for that, should I be able to select "i810" driver in X setup?

X uses its own drivers, they are not the same as the kernel's drivers but
may depend on the kernel driver being there to function properly. If "vga"
works, stick with that for the time being.

> This results in the "no screens" error.  Anybody know why or how to fix
> this?  Would a newer version of X solve the problem?

I am not an X-pert, but try making sure you have entries like the following
in your /etc/X11/XF86Config. This should at least fix your
very-low-resolution problem. You may want to edit the resolutions to suit
your screen.

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

# Standard VGA Device:

Section "Device"
    Identifier	"Standard VGA"
    VendorName	"Unknown"
    BoardName	"Unknown"

# The chipset line is optional in most cases.  It can be used to override
# the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.

#    Chipset	"generic"

# The Driver line must be present.  When using run-time loadable driver
# modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
# module.  Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
# indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.

   Driver     "vga"
# The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
# this section is intended for.  When this line isn't present, a device
# section can only match up with the primary video device.  For PCI
# devices a line like the following could be used.  This line should not
# normally be included unless there is more than one video device
# intalled.

#    BusID      "PCI:0:10:0"

#    VideoRam	256

#    Clocks	25.2 28.3

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "Standard VGA"
    Monitor     "whatever the Identifier is in your Monitor section"
    DefaultDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "800x600" "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# ServerLayout sections.
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present.  Each describes
# the way multiple screens are organised.  A specific ServerLayout
# section may be specified from the X server command line with the
# "-layout" option.  In the absence of this, the first section is used.
# When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
# is used alone.

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"

# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
# the relative position of other screens.  The four names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen.  In this example, screen 2 is located to the
# right of screen 1.

    Screen "Screen 1"

# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
# used.  Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
# "SendCoreEvents".

    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection