From: Kent West [mailto:westk@acu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, 14 January 2004 1:07 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: X "no screens" error with bf2.4 kernel and intel 810
graphics on laptop

Rua Haszard Morris wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm doing my first linux install, on an Acer TravelMate 530, and
>> everything
>> went well until configuring XFree86.
>>
>> I've tried specifying i810 drivers and just plain old vga drivers and
>> when I
>> try to launch xinit I always get the "no screens" error.

Try "startx" instead of "xinit". Also, run "lspci" to make sure the
video chipset is i810.

>> I've downloaded drivers from intel, but the install for them fails
>> because
>> it can't find the headers for the bf2.4 kernel.

Which indicates you are using the bf2.4 kernel; is that correct? This
kernel should have support for i810; just "modprobe i810". However, if
your chipset is a newer variant of the i810 (lspci is your friend), you
might need an even newer kernel.

--
Kent