Re: X "no screens" error with bf2.4 kernel and intel 810 graphics on laptop

Rua Haszard Morris wrote:

Thanks all for the help so far..

I've had some success by choosing "vga" driver in the setup (instead of
i810).  However, the resolution is really bad (looks like 320x240).  (I've
also changed to using vanilla flavour instead of bf2.4)

Which vanilla kernel? "uname -a" should provide the info needed.

The graphics "card" (onboard) is intel 82852 GM, the machine is an Acer
TravelMate 530.

Is this what's reported by "lspci"?

So a new questions is:
1. do I need to install i810 support in the kernel (i think no)?  When I
select it in the "add kernel modules" part of setup, it fails...

Assuming no for that, should I be able to select "i810" driver in X setup?
This results in the "no screens" error.  Anybody know why or how to fix
this?  Would a newer version of X solve the problem?

I'm still suspecting your kernel is too old to know about the video hardware. If you have anything less than 2.4.18, I believe I'd upgrade at this point.

--
Kent