Re: X "no screens" error with bf2.4 kernel and intel 810 graphics on laptop

Rua Haszard Morris wrote:

Hi,

I'm doing my first linux install, on an Acer TravelMate 530, and everything
went well until configuring XFree86.

I've tried specifying i810 drivers and just plain old vga drivers and when I
try to launch xinit I always get the "no screens" error.

Try "startx" instead of "xinit". Also, run "lspci" to make sure the video chipset is i810.

I've downloaded drivers from intel, but the install for them fails because
it can't find the headers for the bf2.4 kernel.

Which indicates you are using the bf2.4 kernel; is that correct? This kernel should have support for i810; just "modprobe i810". However, if your chipset is a newer variant of the i810 (lspci is your friend), you might need an even newer kernel.

--
Kent