Re: Max connections in Samba?

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 13:37, Ken Long wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 19:20, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
> wrote:
> > what I do, and for the same reason, by the way. The process limit is
> > per-machine though, just so you know...

> My question is about exactly what do you mean by the process limit being
> "per-machine"?

The source file explains it better than I could:

from samba/source/smbd/conn.c
/* set these to define the limits of the server. NOTE These are on a
   per-client basis. Thus any one machine can't connect to more than
   MAX_CONNECTIONS services, but any number of machines may connect at
   one time. */
#define MAX_CONNECTIONS 768

I increase this number to 768 because I have terminal servers with 35-40
users on each, and want to make sure I never run out of connections.

If you are unable to connect >128 client machines, I suspect you have
some other issue going on.

> What I ran into was my one Linux server is running smbd (from inetd, rather than
> as daemons) and is acting as a PDC.  I end up with all these IPC$ processes
> hanging out there forever, but we apparently have more than 128 different
> workstations that must connect to this server now, though.

Hmm, I would point to inetd as a likely source of your problem, since it
is the program that is managing all the processes. Try switching to
daemon mode, and in addition to getting a substantial performance
increase, you may see the problem disappear.

--
Mark Roach