Re: Max connections in Samba?

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 19:20, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> From: Mark Roach <mrroach@okmaybe.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Max connections in Samba?
> Date: 12 Jan 2004 17:10:35 -0500
>
> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 11:51, Ken Long wrote:
>
> > So, the question is, is there an easy way to up that number without
> > having to pull down the source package and recompile samba by hand?  (I
> > really prefer to have binary packages, just for ease of upgrading....)
>
> You can't modify the binary (easily), but the easy way to do what you
> are asking is to "apt-get source samba ; apt-get build-dep samba" then,
> make the change and "dpkg-buildpackage" you might then want to put that
> package on hold with "echo samba hold | dpkg --set-selections" and then
> you'll have a semi-custom, package-managed version of samba. This is
> what I do, and for the same reason, by the way. The process limit is
> per-machine though, just so you know...

Ok, gotcha on building the package.  (I kinda figured I'd end up having to do
that anyway, but was hoping not....)
My question is about exactly what do you mean by the process limit being
"per-machine"?

What I ran into was my one Linux server is running smbd (from inetd, rather than
as daemons) and is acting as a PDC.  I end up with all these IPC$ processes
hanging out there forever, but we apparently have more than 128 different
workstations that must connect to this server now, though.

I presumed the max connections limit to mean that I can only have 128 different
workstations connect to the server.....is that what you meant or did you mean
something different?

The other Samba issue that drives me crazy is roaming profiles.  I can't find
a rhyme or reason to it, but it seems like at random times, users' roaming
profiles will suddenly quit updating on the samba server.  Then at some point,
the Windows client will come up and ask if they want the local profile or roaming
profile and if they pick the roaming one, their profile will revert to something
that may be several months old.  It doesn't do it on all profiles and if I delete
the old profile from the server, it will write out a new one when they log off
and may even work correctly for a couple weeks, but then at some point, it will
quit updating again.  Have you (or anyone else) ever seen that problem?  Is there
a solution to that?

Thanks for the help!

-Ken