Re: OT: Why stonehenge Sucks

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:28:51PM -0800, Deryk Barker wrote:
> Thus spake David P James (dpjames@rogers.com):
[snip]
> > > These present day idiots in their KKK-style outfits have no more
> > > right to special treatment at Stonehenge than does Bugs Bunny.
> > > Actually rather less.
> > >

> > While I agree they're little more than idiots, referring to their garb
> > as "KKK-style" is a bit much considering that their outfits probably
> > pre-date the KKK by a century or two. In fact, it's likely the KKK
> > copied the "Druids'" outfits.
>
> Indeed. I wasn't imputing anything, rather attempting to use a
> shorthand that most people would recognise. Mea culpa.

A humble request: could everybody be more consciencous about dropping
offensive terms like KKK.  The cognitive processes preceding such an
utterance disturb me.  Being from the South, I am really sensitive about
it, because people tend to conflate all Southerners with such behavior.
The other day Greg Proops did a bit on the Comedy Channel about
Southerners having gills, pointy heads, and needing to cross-breed.

Just because *some* negative examples of a group of people exist does
not mean its okay to name them in polite company.  Negative examples can
be constructed for any group.  How about adding the children of the
former awful people to the "sensitivity awareness" mechanism in your
brain.

Thanks for your time.