Re: dma timeout

> Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:30:26 +0900 tarihinde
> Akira Kitada <aktdjp@ybb.ne.jp>'nin yazd??klar??:
>
> > please see below (now hdb is FIREBALL, bad one)
> > --------------------
> > Partition check:
> >  hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 >
> >  hdb:<4>hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x61
> > hdb: error waiting for DMA
> > hdb: dma timeout retry: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> > DataRequest }--------------------
>
> is hdparm configures hdds on start-up ? perhaps it configures yoru hard
> drivers and the configuration for your fireball is wrong. may be
> acoustic management is turned on and your fireball does not support this
> a few week ago i have had the same problem and removing acoustic
> management configuration from /etc/hdparm.conf worked for me, i hope it
> will for you too.

I found the string 'Partition Check:' in check.c
at /usr/src/linux/fs/partitions.
I think init is invoked after that
and check.c seem to be checking partition table,
so I think bad hdparm.conf can't become the reason.
(in fact, I turned it on just a few days ago.)

below is my hdparm.conf.
very simple.

# grep '^[^#]' /etc/hdparm.conf
quiet
/dev/hda {
        io32_support = 3
        dma = on
}
/dev/hdb {
        io32_support = 3
        dma = off
}

any suggestions will be greatly appriciated.