Re: dma timeout

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 09:11:24PM +0100, GCS wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:16:02PM +0900, Akira Kitada <aktdjp@ybb.ne.jp> wrote:
> > (please tell me if you feel
> > this mail focus on off-topic subject.
> > and, if possible, appropriate place, too)
> Well, this is a good place I think even if a little off-topic.

Thanks.

> > I can use new hdd, Deskstar, with dma33 mode,
> > so I'm sure my cable and motherboard is fine.
>  I don't know what's the reason, but at my workplace, I got a new
> machine. Everything seems to be ok, only rarely the dvd rom on the
> second ide cable disappear under win2k (it says I have removed it?).
> Also, sometimes I take my home hdd (which works ok here) to my
> workplace, and attach it instead of the dvd rom. Mostly I get the same
> errors you described. Sometime if I change the end of the cable, then it
> works, and occassionaly it boots ok anyway. I think it can be bios (very
> stupid one)/cable. Also my motherboard a bit strange, the first ide is
> ATA100, and the second is not!

I took your advice. I removed my new Deskstar and old FIREBALL EX from ide cable,
which have three connectors, one for ide controler and the others for devices,
and attached primary ide controler.
I swaped each other, and let it boot.
everything went the same.
I even exchange primary ide cable with secandary one, but
no changes occured.

please see below (now hdb is FIREBALL, bad one)
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 >
 hdb:<4>hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x61
hdb: error waiting for DMA
hdb: dma timeout retry: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

Last year, I updated P2B's bios to beta one.
As you suggested it  can be wrong one.

thanks in advance.