Re: Woody-->Sid - any current gotchas?

Jonathan Matthews <nospam <at> jaycee.uklinux.net> writes:

> I'm guessing
> that means something Gnome 2.4-y, which I'm only really going to get in
> Sid. (This isn't the main point of this email, but am I right here?)
> Also (it's been so long
> since I did it last) is it recommended to go Woody->Sarge->Sid, or is
> Woody->Sid preferred?

2.4 is in Sarge as well, but is currently pretty broken (i.e.
`gnome-core` is still version 1.4). It's possible to install it piecemeal,
however.

I went from a slim Woody install to Sid just yesterday via `apt-get -u
dist-upgrade` without any problems.  From there just do `apt-get install
gnome-desktop-environment` to get a good initial Gnome desktop.  You can
also do `apt-get install gnome`, which includes some other apps like
Evolution, RhythmBox, etc.

You can check status of Gnome at the DebianWiki also, although no one
else seems to contribute to it so I can't guarantee its accuracy!
http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianGnome

--
M. Kirchhoff