kernel upgrade help (newbie)

I installed woody from a downloaded CD image (I only downloaded the first
CD, not the whole set) but alas no support for my network card.  After
searching Usenet I found that 2.4.21 or higher has support for my hardware.
So I seem to need to upgrade my kernel in order to get my network connection
working.

2.4.18 is the latest kernel-source package available in the stable
distribution.  The testing distribution has kernel-source-2.4.19-23 plus a
couple of versions of 2.6.0.  My question -- which CDs contain the packages
I need?  Must I download the entire testing CD set (11 CDs)?  I found 2.4.18
on the stable CD #1 I already downloaded.  But unless I'm doing something
wrong with apt (highly possible), I can't find any kernel-source packages on
the first CD #1 of the testing distribution.

Many thanks to anyone who can either answer this or point me in the right
direction in the documentation.