Re: Woody-->Sid - any current gotchas?

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:05:30 +0200
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> The main thing you should do if you plan to install sid is install a
> minimal woody (just the core packages and nothing else), then do a dist
> upgrade, and only then install the rest of the packages.
> It will most probably upgrade right even if you install other things
> but this way there is much less chance for trouble (the core systems
> upgrades cleanly some of the other things require resolving if they are
> upgraded which can leave unwanted things behind or cause problems).

Also -- it's quicker you don't have to download the big stuff (X, tex and gnome
or KDE) twice, once for the woody install and then for the upgrade.

Very often if there is a problem it's most likely a rearrangemant of
packages giving a cyclical dependancy; which is usually resolved by an
"apt-get -f install" and then re-running the dist-upgrade again. As I
recall the last time I upgraded a fully-installed woody system to sid I
had to do that 2 or 3 times.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering