Re: Help with AGP and 3D acceleration for Radeon 7000

> > One similar problem I encountered was that agpgart must be loaded
> > before the radeon module.  Just get out of X, manually unload the
> > radeon module, make sure agpgart is loaded, then start X back up
> > (it will automatically load the radeon module again), and see what
> > happens.
>
> Thank you. Your suggestion does enable direct rendering, but then it
> doesn't work correctly. In fact X11 is completely screwed...
>
> Actually, I noticed that when loading the agpgart module I get this
> message:
>
> Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 201M
> agpgart: Detected SiS 630 chipset
> agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
>
> and this is an excerpt from "lspci -v" (full output is attached in
> case you want to read it):
>
> 00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY
> [Radeon 7000/VE] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
> [ ... ]
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> SiS630 GUI Accelerator+3D (rev 20) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
> [ ... ]
>
> As far as I can judge (I'm really not an expert) it looks like I have
> two different graphics controllers on my motherboard (unfortunately I
> don't have the board's manual so I can't check), and agpgart finds the
> wrong one. Is this correct?

Sort of.  It looks like your Radeon card is a PCI card, and your SiS
card is AGP.  I don't think that DRI works with PCI Radeon cards at
all, so that's out (don't take my word for it, though: check
dri.sourceforge.net).  The best I can tell you if you want DRI is
check if that SiS chip is supported by DRI and if it is, reconfigure X
to use that card instead.

Hope this helps,
Lucas
--