Re: Help with AGP and 3D acceleration for Radeon 7000

Gerardo Ballabio wrote:
On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 23:01, Lucas Bergman wrote:

One similar problem I encountered was that agpgart must be loaded
before the radeon module.  Just get out of X, manually unload the
radeon module, make sure agpgart is loaded, then start X back up (it
will automatically load the radeon module again), and see what
happens.

Thank you. Your suggestion does enable direct rendering, but then it
doesn't work correctly. In fact X11 is completely screwed: I get a blue
screen with garbage at its top, the mouse pointer is displayed (as a
cross) and I can move it, but nothing happens when I click, and I can't
even kill X11 with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (Ctrl-Alt-F1/F6 don't work either)
so I have to push the reboot button in order to get out of it. (The
machine isn't network-connected.)

Actually, I noticed that when loading the agpgart module I get this
message:

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 201M
agpgart: Detected SiS 630 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000

and this is an excerpt from "lspci -v" (full output is attached in case
you want to read it):

00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY
[Radeon 7000/VE] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
[SNIP]
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
SiS630 GUI Accelerator+3D (rev 20) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
[SNIP]

As far as I can judge (I'm really not an expert) it looks like I have
two different graphics controllers on my motherboard (unfortunately I
don't have the board's manual so I can't check), and agpgart finds the
wrong one. Is this correct? Is someone able to tell me what I should do?

Your Radeon is on BusID PCI:0:15:0 (it is actually a PCI card).  Your
SiS card os on BusID PCI:1:0:0 (it is actually an AGP card).  It looks
like the agpgart and radeon mdules are conflicting because they are
accessing different cards.

HTH,

-Roberto