Re: Remove E-mail Headers

Am So, den 11.01.2004 schrieb Wayne Topa um 00:56:
> Joerg Rossdeutscher(ratti@gesindel.de) is reported to have said:
> > Am Sa, den 10.01.2004 schrieb Wayne Topa um 19:52:

> > > If you remove the Message-Id: you might run into some problems.  I
> > > have found that a lot of spam 'does not' include that header.
> >
> > That will not happen, since every mailserver that gets a mail in his
> > fingers is adviced to generate an ID if missing.
>
> Thats right, and my point is:
> I find that when mail, without a Message-Id:, is received by my ISP,
> 'they' add that header.  So if I find a Message-Id with my ISP in that
> header, its deleted.  I have not had a false positive using that rule.
> It's been working now for 3 months and catches an average of 10 spam
> mails per day.

Certainly you can filter what you want to - but you're taking people the
chance away to write a valid MsgID.

The background is:

In RFC is written you're MsgID must be globally unique. So this can only
be done on a mailserver, since two, three, four... clients don't
communicate IDs.

That's difficult enough, but even worse: evolution doesn't let you
configure the domain-part of the MsgID, so i.e. my messages always have
"@local". Half the world uses that. :-(

So, the correct behaviour would be to send my messages without an ID. My
providers mailserver would generate a guaranteed unique one.

Bye,
Ratti
--
 -o)    fontlinge  | Font management for Linux  | Schriftenverwaltung in Linux
 /\\                                  http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontlinge/