Re: SOLVED: help! - how to get postgres 7.3 back

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:14:45 +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:

> On Saturday 10 January 2004 01:08, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
> [...snipped: details of stupidly upgrading postgres
>     without first doing pg_dumpall, causing need to
>     downgrade from 7.4 to 7.3 temporarily...]

[snip]

> Then used aptitude to update and manually selected 7.4 in each
> of postgresql and postgresql-client.  I expected it to do this
> automatically, but it didn't.  That installed 7.4 and the postinstall
> successfully upgraded the database.  I didn't have to manually load the
> dump.

I've been following this thread with interest, being a user of postgreql
7.3.4 on sarge, as the upgrade will be heading my way soon.  I did wonder
why the postinstall on your first upgrade didn't either do the DB upgrade
or at least warn you what was about to happen.  Yet it did apparently do
it on the second upgrade.  I find that a bit confusing.  But at least your
problem has forewarned me.

[snip]

> ... next time I mess up...

The path to true wisdom, Grasshopper :)

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.