Re: X trouble from install

Hello

Jim Higson (<jh@333.org>) wrote:

> [XFree doesn't work under Woody]
> I've also read this http://www.mindwarp.net/debian-usb.php and to be
> honest I'm a bit worried if I have to recompile the kernel just to use
> a usb mouse! Is everything at this page really necessary?
>
> Logitech MX700 mouse
> fairly generic Nvidia GeForce 4ti 4200 by abit

You don't have to recompile the kernel. You only must make sure you load
the drivers. I think you need at least that one for your usb controller
(usb-uhci on most systems), mousedev and hid. Load them with modprobe
and restart X. The XFree configuration itself seems to be fine.

/Maybe/ the standard installation kernel 2.2.20-idepci don't have the
drivers, but in that case you can install another one, like the 2.4.18
installation kernel:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf1.4

There are more kernel packages that may be more suitable for your
system, use apt-cache search kernel-image and apt-cache show to get
more info.

You might want to get the nvidia driver from nvidia.com instead of the
vesa driver if you want 3D acceleration.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen