Re: Re: Re: Mount failed: Invalid argument

The installer I'm using is the one which starts up
when you boot the official Debian CD. I just
bought a 7 CD set which is labeled:

debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2[woody] i386 binary

As for my level of expertise... well, zero
experience with Linux. I have been using DOS/WIN
since DOS 3.2, so I do feel comfortable at the
command line, but I am not familiar with Linux
commands. I was really impressed with the Knoppix
CD  I tried recently, and decided to take the
Linux plunge with Debian because I'm a WordPerfect
user and I heard that WP for Linux runs best on
Debian.

I tried Alt-F2, and guessed that the command for
mounting a disk was "mount". I tried "mount hda3"
and "mount /dev/hda3" and several other
combinations of these, but I keep getting the
error "Can't find hda3 in /etc/fstab" I also tried
issuing the commands from different directories,
but the error message was always "Can't find hda3
in /etc/fstab". It's also hard to tell exactly
where I am because the Linux prompt doesn't
display the working directory, and the "ls"
command rarely returns anything. I guess I'm going
to have to find some info on Linux commands and
learn them before attempting the install again,
because I can't seem to find any help on commands
and switches at the command line.

I'll probably consider another installer if I
can't work through the problems with this official
Debian CD, but I'm guessing that the solution is
probably a simple one, so I hate to give up now.
Any suggestions ...?

Doug