Re: Mount failed: Invalid argument

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 09:34:33AM +0900, Douglas Dreistadt imagined:
> As for my level of expertise... well, zero experience with
> Linux. I have been using DOS/WIN since DOS 3.2, so I do feel
> comfortable at the command line, but I am not familiar with
> Linux commands. I was really impressed with the Knoppix CD  I
> tried recently, and decided to take the Linux plunge with
> Debian because I'm a WordPerfect user and I heard that WP for
> Linux runs best on Debian.

You probably want to switch to OpenOffice as soon as possible -
it's 'free/libre' software (aka open source).

> I tried Alt-F2, and guessed that the command for mounting a
> disk was "mount". I tried "mount hda3" and "mount /dev/hda3"
> and several other combinations of these, but I keep getting
> the error "Can't find hda3 in /etc/fstab" I also tried issuing
> the commands from different directories, but the error message
> was always "Can't find hda3 in /etc/fstab".

man pages are the best resource for figuring out 'syntax'
questions.  So,
  man mount

> It's also hard to tell exactly where I am because the Linux
> prompt doesn't display the working directory,

The prompt can be configured to display anything you want pretty
much.  For instance, this configuration will display the name of
the current directory *without* including the preceding path:
  PS1='[\u@\h: \W]\$ '
The above line is in /etc/profile so it is a 'global' setting;
you could also include it in ~/.bashrc for a more 'local'
configuration.  Also this environmental variable needs to be
'exported', so in the same file you would have another line that
reads like so:
  export PS1

Failing all of the above, there is of course the basic 'pwd'
command that reveals your 'present working directory'.

> and the "ls" command rarely returns anything. I guess I'm
> going to have to find some info on Linux commands and learn
> them before attempting the install again, because I can't seem
> to find any help on commands and switches at the command line.

It's a good idea to bone up on some basic command-line commands.
It makes working with *nix kind of funky when you start to learn
your way around the command-line :-)

I sure you could google a beginner tutorial or two without two
much trouble...

Have Fun,
Raymond
--
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the
homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought under the name