psmouse module problems on boot in linux 2.6.0

Hi,
On my laptop I have both a touchpad and a usb mouse. The touchpad uses the psmouse module, /etc/modules tells the kernel to load this at boot. The usb mouse uses the appropriate usb modules and is loaded using hotpluging.

My problem is that if the usb mouse is not connected at boot the touchpad doesn't work. The module has been loaded, but doesn't seem to notice the touchpad. If I remove the module and reload it works perfectly.

The only difference I can find is that when the usb mouse is plugged in on boot and the psmouse module is loaded the line

input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1

is printed (this also happens when I reload the module), but if the usb mouse is not connected on boot this doesn't get printed.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

--
OoberMick
Some people have a way with words, while others... erm... thingy.