Re: Can't get out of dependency resolution in dselect

Hello Michael!

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:42:58PM -0500, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
I just updated today, and now whenever I try to install any software, dselect keeps wanting me to resolve dependencies. Eventually I get down to where it lists two packages, mozilla-browser and mozilla-xmlterm. After that, no matter what I do, I can't get dselect to think the dependencies are satisfied. The only escape is to control-c to kill dselect, so I can't really use dselect anymore.
[...]
Pressing return to exit the dialog just brings me back into the dialog.

It's not the only escape to just kill dselect.

An excerpt from 'man dselect':
 By pressing enter, the currently displayed set of selections
 is accepted. If dselect detects no unresolved depends as a result
 of the requested selections, the new selections will be set.
 However, if there are any unresolveded depends, dselect will again
 prompt the user with a dependency resolution screen.

 To alter a set of selections that creates unresolved depends
 or conflicts and forcing dselect to accept it, press the 'Q' key.
 This sets the selections as specified by the user,
 unconditionally. Generally, don't do this unless you've read the fine
 print.

 The opposite effect, to back out any selections change
 requests and go back to the previous list of selections, is attained by
 pressing the 'X' or escape keys. By repeatedly pressing these
 keys, any possibly detrimental changes to the requested package
 selections can be backed out completely to the last established
 settings.

Thus pressing 'X' or 'Q' are other ways of escaping this cycle.

But as Colin noted, removing mozilla-xmlterm might be the best
solution here.

Cheers,
Flo