Finding All Locations/URIs of a Package

Hi there,

I tried to install openoffice-help-en package using apt-get. As normal, it chose the first server in my /etc/apt/sources.list file. Unfortunately, it could not connect to this server. Therefore, I wondered if there was a way to obtain a list of all the servers from my source.list file which contained the desired package. Thus, I could find out that servers A, B, C (from my sources.list) had this package and that I could download it from one of those alternate sites.

I checked the apt documentation. I tried apt-cache and apt-show-versions, and while they provide very useful information, I was not able to obtain my desired list. Does anybody know if there is a tool or an option in one of the existing tools that provides me with such functionality? The only thing I can think of is to write the following script myself:

  cd /var/lib/apt/lists
  grep 'Package: openoffice.org-help-en' -n -H *

The script simply parses the list files for each of the servers found in the above directory and tells me which server contains the package. This is a suitable solution, I'm just curious to know if an existing solution already exists.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am a noobie and I am enjoying learning all this new stuff :-)

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca