Re: Applying the forcedeth patch to the 2.4.24 source from kernel.org?

Hello Joseph!

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:58:08PM +0000, Joseph Jones wrote:
Could anyone tell me how to achieve this lofty goal? I've never applied a patch before in my life, so if somebody could tell me how this is done, I'd be very grateful :) I could do with being pointed at the correct patch (amongst other instructions), since I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to download.

You can find the patch at
http://www.hailfinger.org/carldani/linux/patches/forcedeth/forcedeth_2_4_patch.txt

Download it, cd to your kernel source directory, and issue
# patch -p1 < /path/to/forcedeth_2_4_patch.txt
it should apply cleanly, ie. without any 'failed' messages.
See 'man patch' for details about the patch invocation.

Configure your kernel, compile, install, setup your bootloader,
reboot, enjoy. You might find
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
quite helpful, though.

HTH, YMMV,