Re: Configuring a non-root-user profile

Ruby Deepdelver wrote:

From: gmorais <gmorais@deea.isel.ipl.pt>
To: Ruby Deepdelver <janettedoe@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Configuring a non-root-user profile
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 08:55:21 +0000

This is something like newbie to newbie: I had the same problem while ago and the solution was:

1. edit your .bashrc file and add a line with:
   source .bash_profile

2. Then you have to logout (or login elsewhere) for your changes take effect ;

Thak you very much for your concern but i did this and the term doesn't start anymore. Are you sure that the line that i have to insert in .bashrc is "source .bash_profile"? Anyway, i've just find out that when i login in a term (not in X) the problem is solved.
I pressume that the issue is whithin X.
Greets, Ruby.

here it goes my .bashrc and my .bash_profile. it works fine!!

good luck

gmorais

# ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc)
# for examples

# If running interactively, then:
if [ "$PS1" ]; then

    # don't put duplicate lines in the history. See bash(1) for more options
    # export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups

    # enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
    eval `dircolors -b`
    alias ls='ls --color=auto'
    #alias dir='ls --color=auto --format=vertical'
    #alias vdir='ls --color=auto --format=long'

    # some more ls aliases
    #alias ll='ls -l'
    #alias la='ls -A'
    #alias l='ls -CF'

    # set a fancy prompt
    PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ '

    # If this is an xterm set the title to user@host:dir
    #case $TERM in
    #xterm*)
    #    PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}: ${PWD}\007"'
    #    ;;
    #*)
    #    ;;
    #esac

    # enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
    # this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc).
    #if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
    #  . /etc/bash_completion
    #fi
fi

source .bash_profile

# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

umask 022

# the rest of this file is commented out.

# include .bashrc if it exists

#if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
#    source ~/.bashrc
#fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
#if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
#    PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
#fi

# do the same with MANPATH
#if [ -d ~/man ]; then
#    MANPATH=~/man:"${MANPATH}"
#fi

PATH=$PATH":/usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux"
PATH=$PATH":/usr/local/sbin/MozillaFirebird"

#alias fpost='mpost -mem ~/featpost/featpost'

#alias acroread ='./usr/local/bin/acrobat/bin/acroread'