Re: Configuring a non-root-user profile

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:06:34 +0000, Ruby Deepdelver wrote:

> Thak you very much for your concern but i did this and the term doesn't
> start anymore.
> Are you sure that the line that i have to insert in .bashrc is "source
> .bash_profile"?
> Anyway, i've just find out that when i login in a term (not in X) the
> problem is solved.
> I pressume that the issue is whithin X.
> Greets, Ruby.

When you start an X terminal, it doesn't start as a login session unless
you are executing it as such.  If it doesn't start as a login session,
.bash_profile doesn't get executed.

So you either need to check your X terminal man page for how to start it
as a login session, or you need to move your path setting from
.bash_profile to .bashrc and make sure you're executing .bashrc from
.bash_profile, because .bashrc is only executing for *non*-login sessions.

Also try reading the section "INVOCATION" near the beginning of the bash
manpages, which will explain most of this.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.