Re: urgent nvidia problem

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:46:49AM -0700, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:42:06PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> >
> > so, no, "nvidia" is not loaded.  I tried modprobe nvidia, and got:
> > "modprobe: can't locate module nvidia"
> >
> > I'm using the debian nvidia packages, which I compiled myself to fit
> > a self-rolled kernel.
> > nvidia-glx is 1.0.3123-4,
> > nvidia-kernel-long-kernel-name is 1.0.3123-3 (odd that the package
> > version is different)
> >
> > I guess these are somewhat old.
>
> Yea, current version in Debian is 1.0.4496 the procedure for compiling
> them has changed a bit, the nvidia-glx package no longer needs to be
> compiled and there is an nvidia-kernel-common package.  You might try
> upgrading to the newer version.

err.. this may be slightly ocmplicated as I think I recently
accidentally deleted the source directory for this kernel version.
(might be the time to upgrade to 2.6!)

> > I just dpkg -i --reinstall 'ed them without a hitch, but nonetheless
> > nvidia.o does not appear in
> > /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/video.  Should it?
>
> Yes.  To find out where it's putting the nvidia.o file try a "dpkg -L"
> of the nvidia-kernel package name.  It should list the entire contents
> of the package including the path to the nvidia.o or in that older
> version it might have a different module name (seem to recall the name
> did change).

dpkg -L doesn't list nvidia.o.  Instead it has the following lines:
/lib
/lib/modules
/lib/modules/2.4.18-586-demudi
/lib/modules/2.4.18-586-demudi/kernel
/lib/modules/2.4.18-586-demudi/kernel/drivers
/lib/modules/2.4.18-586-demudi/kernel/drivers/video
/lib/modules/2.4.18-586-demudi/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver

I tried "modprobe NVdriver", and the driver loads, but X still fails
with the error:

NV: Could Not Get Card Argument (Invalid Argument)

I wonder whether the problem lies BEHIND the NVIDIA driver somehow --
somehow I imagine that X should still work under other kernels if the
problem were specific to the module -- and I've tried loading other
(previously funcitonal) kernels, with no success.

I supposei t's possible there was a spontaneous hardware problem as
well -any idea how I could diagnose that?

matt