Re: urgent nvidia problem

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:15:01AM -0700, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:44:18AM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> >
> > Rebooted and x wouldn't start because of a problem with nvidiactl (I
> > have to use the nonfree drivers to make X work at all...).
> >
> > I've tried variouS things -- modprobe nvidia, insmod NVdriver,
> > changing to an oder kernel, none of it matters.
> >
> > (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
> > (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
> > (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
> > (--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xD0000000
> > (--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xE4000000
> > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
>
> Is the "nvidia" module loaded (should see it in the output of lsmod).
> Are you using the NVidia installation routines or the Debian binary and
> wrapper packages?  If using the Debian packages, what are the versions
> of your nvidia-glx, nvidia-kernel-common, and nvidia-kernel packages
> (for the nvidia-kernel package the actual name should be something like
> nvidia-kernel-$kernelversion where $kernelversion is the output of
> "uname -r").

so, no, "nvidia" is not loaded.  I tried modprobe nvidia, and got:
"modprobe: can't locate module nvidia"

I'm using the debian nvidia packages, which I compiled myself to fit
a self-rolled kernel.
nvidia-glx is 1.0.3123-4,
nvidia-kernel-long-kernel-name is 1.0.3123-3 (odd that the package
version is different)

I guess these are somewhat old.
I just dpkg -i --reinstall 'ed them without a hitch, but nonetheless
nvidia.o does not appear in
/lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/video.  Should it?  This
is all very strange since nvidia worked fine until yesterday
afternoon...

matt