Re: urgent nvidia problem

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:42:06PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:

> so, no, "nvidia" is not loaded.  I tried modprobe nvidia, and got:
> "modprobe: can't locate module nvidia"
>
> I'm using the debian nvidia packages, which I compiled myself to fit
> a self-rolled kernel.
> nvidia-glx is 1.0.3123-4,
> nvidia-kernel-long-kernel-name is 1.0.3123-3 (odd that the package
> version is different)
>
> I guess these are somewhat old.

Yea, current version in Debian is 1.0.4496 the procedure for compiling
them has changed a bit, the nvidia-glx package no longer needs to be
compiled and there is an nvidia-kernel-common package.  You might try
upgrading to the newer version.

> I just dpkg -i --reinstall 'ed them without a hitch, but nonetheless
> nvidia.o does not appear in
> /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/video.  Should it?

Yes.  To find out where it's putting the nvidia.o file try a "dpkg -L"
of the nvidia-kernel package name.  It should list the entire contents
of the package including the path to the nvidia.o or in that older
version it might have a different module name (seem to recall the name
did change).

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar