Re: install module in webmin

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Lucas Albers wrote:

> I installed webmin from testing, Version 1.121
> I am unable to get install a new webmin snort module from snort.org via
> teh webmin interface.
> All the documentation talks about these steps for installing a module via
> webmin from www.webmin.com
>
> --If you are using Webmin version 0.88 or above, these updates can be
> --installed automatically using the 2nd and 3rd forms under Webmin
> Configuration -> Upgrade Webmin
>
> I don't have this in my listing.
> I've been looking at this for awhile and cannot understand what the
> problem is.

Normally to learn the changes Debian has made to an upstream package you
would look at /usr/share/doc/<packagename>/README.Debian but oops I've
forgotten to do this.  A mistake that will be fixed in the next version.

Anyway the reason is that going behind the package managers back can lead
to problems so I've disabled this feature.  Your alternatives are:

1. Copy the module configuration to /etc/webmin/<modulename> and the rest
   of its files to /usr/share/webmin/<modulename> It should then show up
   in webmin.  The problem is that dpkg will not know about it and it
   could potentially cause problems later on.

2. Make your own Debian package of the module using one of the existing
   ones as a model.

3. Ask me very nicely if I'll package it. :-)

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>