Package installing / Kernel Upgrade

Hi all,

after my debian is working without problems on my firewall for a few months,
I have two more or less simple questions:

While updating or installing a package the computer needs a lot of time. For
example updating 2 packages took about 45 minutes. Okay, the computer is
only a P133 with 16 MB RAM, but is this a normal behaviour? RPM never took
so long to install.
Is there any way to speed up this process or just the normal way?

Is it possible to install a new kernel with "apt-get upgrade"? Or is the
only way to upgrade the kernel to recompile a new one with the dpkg options?

Thanks in advance

Jan