Re: ISO9660 file naming (limits)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:12:16 -0500 Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> I want to make a cd archive of my (past) school work and remove it
> from my hard drive.  The problem lies in name/path length limits for
> ISO9660 filesystems.  'mkisofs -R -J' yields output such as
>     Using FINDR000.HH;1 for ./SE1-Software_Engineering.3010-361/src/FindRoomWindow.hh (FindRoomWindow_glade.hh)
>     Using FINDR000.CC;1 for ./SE1-Software_Engineering.3010-361/src/FindRoomWindow_glade.cc (FindRoomWindow.cc)
> When I loopback mount the ISO to inspect it, the file apears normal
> with the complete path and name.
>
> My question is, what does the output from mkisofs mean, and will the
> CD have all of the files correctly named?

I've had that problem, especially for files in Windows partitions. It
probably means mkisofs is renaming the files to conform to specs, and
building the necessary filename translation tables. As far as I can tell,
the renaming won't be visible to the user and all files will be available
to the system with their original names.

The command I use is different, though:

   mkisofs -r -D -L -l -graft-points -J -joliet-long -jcharset default ...

This makes it produce non-strictly-conforming CD images, but will handle
much deeper directories and longer filenames. Both Linux and Windows seem
to read such CDs correctly.

I've been using that for my backups for years with no problems, all files
are correctly shown both under Linux and Windows.

HTH,

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/