Re: ISO9660 file naming (limits)

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:41:23PM +0000, Carlos Sousa wrote:
| On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:12:16 -0500 Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > I want to make a cd archive of my (past) school work and remove it
| > from my hard drive.  The problem lies in name/path length limits for
| > ISO9660 filesystems.  'mkisofs -R -J' yields output such as
| >     Using FINDR000.HH;1 for ./SE1-Software_Engineering.3010-361/src/FindRoomWindow.hh (FindRoomWindow_glade.hh)
| >     Using FINDR000.CC;1 for ./SE1-Software_Engineering.3010-361/src/FindRoomWindow_glade.cc (FindRoomWindow.cc)
| > When I loopback mount the ISO to inspect it, the file apears normal
| > with the complete path and name.
| >
| > My question is, what does the output from mkisofs mean, and will the
| > CD have all of the files correctly named?
|
| I've had that problem, especially for files in Windows partitions.

| It probably means mkisofs is renaming the files to conform to specs,
| and building the necessary filename translation tables.

That's what I thought it might be too.

| As far as I can tell, the renaming won't be visible to the user and
| all files will be available to the system with their original names.

This is good.  I wanted confirmation on that.  The only anomaly it
produces is a visible (and -apparently- empty) 'rr_moved' directory.
I think that's where mkisofs maps the "sanitized" names to.  One thing
I was afraid of was losing some filename information and needing to
manually work out the original names if I want to recover the data.

| The command I use is different, though:
|
|    mkisofs -r -D -L -l -graft-points -J -joliet-long -jcharset default ...
|
| This makes it produce non-strictly-conforming CD images, but will handle
| much deeper directories and longer filenames. Both Linux and Windows seem
| to read such CDs correctly.
|
| I've been using that for my backups for years with no problems, all files
| are correctly shown both under Linux and Windows.

Ok.  The -r option produces less of the "Using foo for bar" messages.
Probably because with 31 instead of 8.3 characters per name fewer
files need renaming.  (Who ever thought 8.3 was a good limit for cds?
I can't fathom such shortsighted limits.)

Thanks,
-D

--
\begin{humor}