Re: Getting ext3 correctly in the kernel or boot

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:41:20 +0100, David Baron wrote:

> I apparently do have ext3 around as a module. This is an endemic knoppix
> problem, apparently, since I am not the only one to have gotten that
> "mounting ext3 as ext2" warning after making the switch.
>
> I need some hand-holding to get it either in an initrd (putting ext3 in the
> mkinitrd/modules file and running mkinitrd gives me its help list only and
> does nothing) or to compile it into the kernel itself.

This is a double endemic problem, actually. Knoppix and Debian. Debian for
still unclear kernel management (I have yet to find anything
comprehensible and complete).
The solution here: I loop-mounted initrd (which is just a basic file
system) and edited the correct hd-partition into it.
Works and boots root to ext3.
Almost. At shutdown it still whines about cannot umount:

umount local filesystems umount2 device or resources busy
umount: /dev/hda7: not mounted

and then it recovers the journal once per (re-)boot.

I wished Debian had a suitable installer (I wouldn't repeat my ordeal with
Woody and the Sarge-netinstaller here. Find it elsewhere), so that we
wouldn't need the Knoppix-hdinstall. But that's how life is.