Re: Getting ext3 correctly in the kernel or boot

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:34:12 +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> This is a double endemic problem, actually. Knoppix and Debian. Debian for
> still unclear kernel management (I have yet to find anything
> comprehensible and complete).
> The solution here: I loop-mounted initrd (which is just a basic file
> system) and edited the correct hd-partition into it.
> Works and boots root to ext3.
> Almost. At shutdown it still whines about cannot umount:

Still, that's an interesting solution - no doubt born out of frustration -
I bet one day, after a bit of head-scratching, you said to yourself, "Fsck
it, I'll just edit the darn thing directly, mumble, mumble mumble..." :)

I certainly agree with you about this area being unclear.  The related
documentation is about as clear as mud to me.  I have gained further
(limited) understanding by looking at the scripts and following the code,
but it is certainly not an easy task. David, however, should be able to
get a quick answer in the knoppix-related forums, as the problem is
evidently a common one for knoppix users.  Hopefully, if someone helps
him, he will take the trouble to actually thank them.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.