Re: Re: Using RAID chipsets in the motherboard.

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:12:35AM +0100, Matthias Hentges wrote:
> Am Fre, 2004-01-02 um 19.25 schrieb Ramasubramanian Ramesh:
> >    It is my understanding that a PATA IDE drive can be connected
> >    to SATA adapter with some cable mod or
> >    some thing like that. Am I correct?
>
> I don't think so. SATA is very different from PATA. It's similar to
> SCSI, hence the use of the SCSI subsystem in Linux. A simple cablemod
> won't work.

Such adapters do exist, but they are not simple cables, they contain some
logic. How well they work, or whether they require drivers, etc, I'm afraid
I don't know. The idea sounds flaky to me, and probably it's best to avoid
it...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons