Re: What is best hard drive for Linux?

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:43:29AM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:24:34 +0000, Pigeon wrote:
>

> > I'm intrigued by the drive having an installation CD with it. What was on
> > it? You sometimes needed to load EZ-Drive or Disk Manager off a floppy in
> > the days when the half-gig limit was a problem, but I haven't come across
> > anything like that recently.
>
> Maxtor, for example, provides an installation CD with the drive checking
> tools and something for doing drive-to-drive copies in case you are
> replacing a drive (remember that most people replacing drives will be
> non-geek PC users, prolly running one of those dastardly MS O/S's).

I just got a brand new WD 40GB drive.

The CD that came with it is called:

"Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools Version 11.0"

It has 2 programs.  Drive Installation and Diagnostics.

For Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98SE only.

If Windows is installed, use this CD to setup your harddrive.
If Windows is not installed, boot from this CD.

No Windows here so I booted from CD to see what happens.

It starts Caldera DR-DOS.

Then it comes to a menu:
1. Run Data Lifeguard
2. Create Data Lifeguard Bootable Diskette
3. Create Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Bootable Diskette
4. Quit

I chose 1 and the program started and was basically a tutorial
for physically installing a hard drive.

Then it brought me to the main menu with 5 choices:

1. Install tutorial
	(self explanatory)

2. Setup your hard drive
	This one allows you to completely erase your disk.

3. Maint. options
	This allows you to create bootdisk, update MBR boot code,
	and also backup or restore MBR

4. Utilites
	This allows you to copy a partition or set hard drive size.

5. Hard drive info
	This shows you either technical hard drive info or view
	hard drive jumper settings.

Noting exciting.  Most people on this list could just use a Knoppix CD
to accomplish most anything.

-Andy