devfs and Linux LVM

I installed lvm10 on a system that is mostly testing
with a few packages from unstable.  At first it all
worked very well but after a few reboots I was
completely unable to mount the LVM volumes.

Based on what I could find it looks like this is a
known problem with LVM and kernels compiled with devfs
enabled.  I would really like to have LVM working so I
am trying to figure out what my options are.  One
option is to recompile the kernel without devfs
support.

>From what I can tell, it really won't matter much if I
get rid of devfs.  I wanted to check with everyone
here to see if there were any issues with getting rid
of devfs.  Is there anything I need to look out for or
check before I do this?

Are there any other ways to have lvm running reliably
without recompiling the kernel?  I don't mind
recompiling but i like to stick to stock Debian
kernels if I can.  Does lvm2 fix this problem?

ope