Re: devfs and Linux LVM

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:30:06PM -0800, ope <ope557@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From what I can tell, it really won't matter much if I
> get rid of devfs.  I wanted to check with everyone
> here to see if there were any issues with getting rid
> of devfs.  Is there anything I need to look out for or
> check before I do this?
 I don't really know, but it should not be a big deal. Try it, as I
think you can disable devfs with 'devfs=nomount' or something like that
appending to your kernel boot line.

> Does lvm2 fix this problem?
 I don't know this problem, but devfs is obsolated in 2.6, so it worth a
try. As I dislike devfs, never used it, and running LVM1 for years
(later I changed to LVM2 ofcourse). Please note that as soon as you
upgrade your _metadata_, you can't go back to LVM1. It's not a problem
to have only the LVM2 tools installed, they can read your LVM1 vg-s.

Hope this helps,
GCS