Re: What is best hard drive for Linux?

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Thomas H. George wrote:

> WARNING!
> Using an operating system not listed below could result in data loss.
>
> ...followed by a list of Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
>
> Why would they say such a thing?  What should I buy next time?

I wouldn't worry about it.  I've been using Western Digital harddrives
with Linux systems for a year and a half without a single problem with
Mandrake 8.2, 9.1, and now with Woody; a total of 4 different hard drives
actually.

Why would they say that?  Just because of liability.  They figure they can
"trust" MS and Mac because they're companies they can seek "answers" from
in case of problems.  "Linux" is a big vague monster to most people (which
is why MS can't kill it so easily).

Basically what they're saying is you have no recourse against them if you
lose data put there using Linux.

Again, I've never known anyone to have a problem with WD HDs and Linux.

--
[ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)     ]
[ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music     ]